If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Note: For those who haven't seen or read If I Stay, I suggest the you get to it first before reading this review. Why, you ask? Because I will be spoiling it for you. But like I keep saying, if you don't mind, then PLEASE SCROLL DOWN! :)

I've finished reading this book quite some time ago, as well as the second book (which I'll be reviewing next), but I still remember the events in the book pretty well. That's always a good sign I guess, because it means that that story is unique and has a recall for people.
 

Title: If I Stay (If I Stay #1)
Author: Gayle Forman
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Drama, Contemporary, Fiction


SYNOPSIS:
Just listen, Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel.

I open my eyes wide now.
I sit up as much as I can.
And I listen.

Stay, he says.

Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?

Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.

If I Stay is a heart-achingly beautiful book about the power of love, the true meaning of family, and the choices we all make.

REVIEW:
I think it's safe to assume that most of us have at least heard of "If I Stay" the movie, right? If you haven't...where have you been for the past two years? 

I am, however, guilty of the fact that I haven't seen the movie yet. I already have it saved in my computer, I just haven't gotten to it yet. But, I have obviously read the book. Hence, this review. 

First things first, this book will make you sad. It's a fact. I was sad 90% of the time while reading this. It's heartbreaking, and not just because of the romance, but because of what happened to her family. Many people would assume that it's all about romance and stuff, but I would have to disagree. I see it as something deeper. It deals with choices, dreams, family, friendship, and here we go...love. It's a complex book with lots of flashbacks. (That's basically the theme of the story.)

TO LOVE:
As you may have deduced, I like how deep this story is. It doesn't have a plot that you can read in 1 out of 10 books. It really is unique. A bit creepy though because she is a wandering soul. With that in mind, I find it kind of weird that she can't move about freely like other spirits that we know of...from movies and TV shows of course. She can't pass through walls, and if she needs to get through a door she has to wait for someone to open it, and then she'll squeeze in. That just really sucks big time for her. But I guess that's exactly how Ms. Forman wanted it. She didn't want Mia to be the stereotype that we've seen in the past. She wants her to not be that far from her body, giving her the much needed time for all her flashbacks. (wink)
TO BLEH:
Personally, I found the entire book kinda slow. I'm not saying that it's not good. That is not what I'm saying at all. It's just that as much as it embarrasses me to say this, I kind of skipped a few parts of the book. I'M SORRY, please don't hate me. I guess the memory flashbacks just didn't do it for me. I found myself quite confused at times...and not in a good way. And for those who haven't read the book, do check it out and you might see what I'm talking about. 

Another thing that I didn't appreciate all that much is the car accident. It was too gore for a book of this genre! I'm all for blood and violence, but not in stories like this! It just didn't fit. 

SUMMARY:
All-in-all though, it's a good book with real depth. I guess it just depends on a reader's taste, but unfortunately this book just wasn't my cup of tea. I think this is one of those rare cases wherein the movie is better than the book. At least most of the unimportant parts in the book are removed in the movie. 
But like I said, totally depends on the person reading it. But for me, I'd give this a "TO PASS-UP...FOR NOW" stamp.

My review for "Where She Went (If I Stay #2)" will be next, so please watch out for that.

Thanks for taking the time to read this entry! :)

No comments

Powered by Blogger.