Zoom It! #AtoZChallenge

Hi! I'm Masako Ara Maine Prado, a.k.a. Ara the Booksnake, and I am a PROUD BOOK NERD!!

I decided to end the A to Z Challenge by sharing a little something about myself. How I read, what I like to read, and who my favorite authors are. Yeesh, talk about pressure.


Okay, first things first. I am a FAST reader. See how I had to type that on all caps? Yeah, I had to emphasize it. I don't know if there's a term for people like me, I haven't Googled it yet (although I might later), but my reading speed is ridiculous. I can finish a 7-800 page book (one that I find interesting of course) in 4 uninterrupted hours or so. I have tried timing myself, so I know. Let me just clarify, I am not boasting. I'm not even proud of it. Why? There's a downside to this "condition" of mine. I may read very fast, but I don't retain that much memory of the scenes in the book after I read it. Sucks right? I have to read a novel about 3 times before I can accurately quote lines from it. Another negative effect is my incapibility of remembering which story belongs to what title and who the characters are. Unless it's a favorite of mine, that is. But I'm not kidding. It's the reason why I started The Booksnake Etc. to begin with. It serves as my ledger and monitors the books I've read, how the story goes, and if I liked them or not. I remember reading an article saying that you read as fast as you talk. That would explain a lot actually, considering I talk like I ate Eminem's songs for breakfast.

If you hang around here for a bit, you would instantly know which genre appeals to me the most. Did you say Romance? Yes? Then you would be correct. I read all kinds of books, but romantic stories and all its sub-genre are my go-to reads. People who know me are usually surprised when I tell them I'm a (secret) hopeless romantic. They tell me I don't look the part, that I seem like the kind of person who enjoys action-packed thriller/suspense books. Maybe even crime and mystery since I like watching TV series like Castle, Criminal Minds, Bones. 

For some reason, the kind of shows and movies I'm fond of watching are the ones I don't like reading about, and vice versa. I have no explanation for this whatsoever. 

Okay, let me iust have a moment to be 110% honest here (not that I was lying at any point before). I don't have a list of favorite authors. I haven't really given it much thought actually. Sure I have a few names that come to mind instantly like: Marian Tee, Lori Foster, Maya Banks, Emma Chase, Marie Harte, J.J. McAvoy. These are just a few of them, like I said. The thing is, if I make a list of authors I love, people might start doubting if they really are favorites. Because what does favoring someone mean? It means you put them on top of other authors. I am unable to do that. Not wired that way, sorry. If I like a book, I instantly consider the author a favorite. 

So where am I going with this? I have absolutely no idea. But I just want to close the A to Z Challenge 2015 with a part of me to share with my readers. It has been a fun 26 days.


4 comments:

  1. Wow Ara, that's unbelievable but bad on the negative side of it :(( Romance is what I love read but I love watching horror.. lol See the contradiction? No wonder I keep gravitating towards you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching horror too! Preferably in the dark. :-) Are we like soul sisters or something?! Hahaha! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hello there.
    Always nice to learn a little about the person behind the blog. Thanks for sharing.
    Congratulations on surviving the challenge! I didn't get to visit your blog during the crazy month of April so I'm popping over today from the Road Trip.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Thanks so much for dropping by. This means a lot. I don't think I was able to check your blog out too, but I'm shooting over there right now...after I send this reply. Again, thanks for taking the time to read about me and my reading habits.

      Cheers!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.